Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mission Possible: Find My Missing Hobby



In my previous life, before Bebe, I had what seemed like lots of time to spare.

I had hobbies.

One of them was genealogy. Something about the researching, recording, and archiving all of the photos and information gave me that "history detective" feeling. It was all fascinating to me.

As much as I'd like to spend more time working on my family history... it has kind of been put on hold. Plus, there was the great Christmas day computer crash and I have not attempted to see how many files I lost.

I still have some photos saved (luckily we had backed up some things) and here is one my Father and I are proud of.

It is my paternal Great Grandfather standing in front of the fire pumper in Brooklyn, NY. He was one of the brave souls who fought fires in a crowded city... using the old kind of firetruck, probably to him it was the latest and greatest.

These bits of history remind me how much we take for granted. I'm going to challenge myself to take some time to work on preserving the family heritage in the next coming weeks.

It's a gift Dear Bebe will appreciate someday!

7 comments:

MJ said...

Those computer crashes! I hope you might be able to recover some of your research but, if not, you might be able to retrace your path of where you had once been. I love geneology but haven't had the chance to do it ~ yet!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Wow - what a great find - the pic. I mean. It's amazing what you can uncover. Hope you find time to do the detective thing again.

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
That is such a great picture...I'm glad you used it in your post today. Bebe is a lucky little girl to have a "detective" Mom interested in saving her history.


Love,
Ms.Daisymau

Natasha Burns said...

Great shot, and it's great to know you can find out some of your family history. I started working on ours when my grandmother died. Guess I left it a little late and found a bunch of things I wanted to ask her. Now, it's all in a box, untouched for 6 years...

Glennis said...

She will appreciate it, true! And you can take it up whenever you want to so don't feel pressured.

That's a great photo!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow Jillian! As soon as I saw this photo I knew it was Brooklyn, NY, where I live! This is a fabulous photo. I hope you are able to find all your lost files..computer crashes are horrible.

Lisa said...

How great that you are getting back into it! It is nice and a little sad when you find you can have more time as they grow up! Enjoy your refound hobby!
HUgs, Lisa