Sunday, July 24, 2011

Antique Wallpapering: What to do with the old wooden print blocks or stamps?

I've been fascinated by this unique and very old wooden wallpaper block (or stamp)


It looks like it has the image of a folk art rooster but it is possible it could be a peacock because a rooster's tail is not that long.

Either way, I'm always amazed by the tools used to create things we take for granted ... because now we know machines print everything. Not to mention the digital age.



This is definitely not digital.

What to do with it now though. . . that is the question.

Well, I found a few useful ideas online (woodprintblocks.com)



*Use it as Art




*Decorate Paper


*Make Cards


*Make wallpaper of course!




*Imprint on Fabric


*Press images into clay, plaster or paint!




(and this one I really like....)


* Make custom tiles for your kitchen!

A lost art due to modern technology.


I'm looking into the history behind these unique pieces of the past and will update this post as soon as I find what I am looking for.

In the meantime, this stamp is available in my Bella Rosa Antiques store, here.

1 comment:

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
I like the way you have displayed the stamp in your Bella Rosa shop. Makes it very easy for someone to imagine how it would look if stamped onto fabric or paper.


L,
Ms.Daisymau